Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gestational Thrombocytopenia

Say that 5 times fast!

Those 2 words have been running through my mind ever since my diagnosis last week at the Hematologist's office.

What this basically means if that during pregnancy I have a low platelet count.  This is a concern because having low platelets may hinder your ability to clot.  Not a good thing when a delivery in my future.  Also, you are not allowed to have an epidural if your count is too low as this would be life-threatening for me.

Apparently, when the doctor compared my counts with my two past pregnancies he said I was low with them all and there was no way I should have have an epidural with either.  We have no idea why this was never caught or mentioned at all to me but now we know.

I have another appointment for blood work and a visit with that hematologist in a month.  He will keep an eye on my count.  If at any point if dips dangerously low or if right before my due date my count if low he may offer steroids and or a blood transfusion.  Right now there is nothing to be done but to call him if I start bruising easily or have lots of bleeding (nose, gums, cuts, etc) or develop red dots on my skin.  I also have to stay away from taking any ibuprofen.  Other than that I just pray.

So medically speaking that is where I am at.... through in the fact that my Mirena plays the X factor in this mix and there is not a dull moment to be had with the pregnancy. Emotionally, I don't know what to make of it right now.  I am afraid and unsure of what the future weeks will hold.  I just have to hang on and like everything else.....go with the flow.  And maybe practice some natural breathing techniques too.

A bit of cramping this week and a bad week for my lower back too.  Things just had to be getting better soon.

Here is a positive thinking video...........

2 comments:

  1. You have been in my thoughts. You are so strong. You are such a good Mama. While I did not have the Mirena factored into any of my pregnancies, I did have troublesome pregnancies with kiddos 2 and 3 (pre-term labor, bedrest,and other non-threatening but chronically painful and debilitating issues which caused me an insane amount of worry). I feel for you. I know that you will not breathe easy until you have that beautiful, healthy baby in your arms.I wish that there was something I could say to help ease the worry and fear. Just know that someone out there is thinking of you- sending you warm thoughts for continued strength, faith and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Amy - thanks for your continued support. Your words mean so very much and I am so thankful that you have been reading along and offer your postive words. Things have just been one worry after another and you are right....until she is here, even though I try to be positive, things do weigh heavily on me. Hopefully I will have some better news or at least a few boring weeks here and there that I can write about something other than medical issues. Thanks for reading and for offering up your experience. I does help.

    ReplyDelete